Construction of an overpass across Notre-Dame Street to Assomption Blvd.
Every day, about 2,500 trucks transit through the Port of Montreal’s facilities, resulting in traffic issues on Notre-Dame Street.
The objective of the overpass project is to improve road accessibility to the Port of Montreal and alleviate trucking. To achieve this, the project aims to create a direct link between the Port of Montreal and the highway, ensuring a continuous movement of containers to and from the terminals.
Improve the flow of goods
Reduce truck traffic on the local road network
Improve air quality
May 10, 2013
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Montreal Port Authority, the City of Montreal and the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) to improve access to the Port
- January 20: Announcement by the federal government of a project to optimize port capacity, including a road link between the Port and the projected extension of Assomption Blvd.
2016 and 2017
Construction by the MTQ of direct access ramps between the Port and Highway 25
Redevelopment by the MPA of part of the Boucherville Street entrance to improve truck entries and exits onto Port territory at Highway 25
- May 14: The federal government announces $45 million in funding for the City of Montreal to extend Assomption Blvd.
- Analysis of different configuration options for road access
- March and April 2019: Participation in OCPM (Office de consultation publique de Montréal) consultations on the economic and urban development of the Assomption Sud—Longue-Pointe sector
- Finalization of the Environmental Effects Evaluation (EEE). The following elements are analyzed:
- Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Air quality/dust and contaminants
- Visual/lighting impact
- Sound environment
- Wetland inventories
- Soil quality
- Wildlife and plant inventories
- Groundwater quality
- Technological risk assessment
- Cumulative effects assessment
- Follow-up and monitoring programs
Following this assessment, mitigation measures will be identified and implemented for responsible impact management.
- Public meeting (presentation of the preliminary design and results of the EEE)
- Finalization of the project design
Opening of the overpass, depending on when the extensions of Assomption Blvd. and Souligny St. are completed.